dexatrin82

Looking for some help

I am looking to understand how to use the dialog creator/editor to create my menus and edit my dialogs.....

I am also looking to understand positioning on screen so I can work on my own custom HUD/Status bar, I am willing to put in the work, I just need some help and pointers...

Easiest way to start out is by copying one of the already made GUI's from the Altis Life distro and load it in a new editor mission. From there, use the Debug to display the dialog, and edit it in notepad or Visual Basic. 

That's how I learnt how to use and manipulate dialogs. A similar technique can be used to make them from scratch, you simply copy the data out of the game into a code editor and edit it there!

This video here is what I followed: Making a GUI

Edited by LoudBridge5284

I need some hand holding for the where to open the file and how to get it in editor and such, I am a basic code guy normally and the syntax's are new to me so once I see how to start and manipulate something basic like adding to or re-arranging the Y menu, I will be able to move from there on my own quite easily for a lot of what I want to do.

So first thing you want to do is save a new mission file and place down a soldier - he will be your test dummy.

Then, click Preview Scenario to actually play as your soldier in game. 

Now you want to hit Esc to open the pause menu, and click on the GUI Editor button, like so:

Jwv3abZ.jpg

Then, when the GUI editor opens, Right click and select IGUI Back, to create a background. ALT + Drag to open it to its desired size.

YZNiNWp.jpg

Right click again on the background to give the GUI element a name, here I've called it 'background':

nESvQDP.jpg

Now the boxes here all do varying things -

• Title is what it will be called in our document. 
  • 'Text' is what would be written in the element. You can leave it blank.
  • Position is the position on the screen. Syntax is dependent on what is chosen in drop down "Position Type"
  • Text colour is a 4 integer combination - [r,g,b,a(oppacity)] see here for more detail.
  • Active colour is what colour the element turns when the element is "active" (read: usable)
  • Tooltip is what text is displayed next to your mouse when you hover over the element.
  • the box down the bottom left indicates the ID of the element. It is extremely important to handle these well in altis life development.

Once that is done, hit ok and you will be returned back to the GUI Editor grid. Hit Right click again, chose your next element, and follow the same steps. 

Upon finishing placing all your elements, press Ctrl + Shift + S. This will save your GUI data to the clipboard. Open up your Mission file, the default pathway is C:\Documents\Arma 3\ProfileName\Missions\YourMissionFile.Altis. Open notepad, save a file as 'dialog.hpp' (make sure it saves as that file type), open it, and paste your data. You should end up with something like this:

mneExN9.jpg

From here you can edit position, text, colour and a whole bunch of other stuff. The full list of basic options to change can be found here

Hope this helps a lil bit

Yes that helps very much. Than you, that is exactly what I was looking for. I am a special case once it comes to learning, I am a show me and I'm set kinda learner, I greatly appreciate this.

Now when you say create a new mission and save it? can I edit one of my local life missions that I have saved(I have daily backups going back 1 week) and just go from there or do I want to just load up stock arma on altis without the life mod for the mission I am editing.

Edited by dexatrin82

You can make it in an existing mission, but I recommend building your GUI's in a fresh mission file. Makes it easier to find files and whatnot, as you only have data pertaining to your new GUI in there. Once you're done, move the files over to the current mission and continue. 

Personal preference though, whatever works best for you :)

Edited by LoudBridge5284