Repentz

Fast mission testing method

I've noticed most newer people who dev on server decide to use the old "pack pbo-> start up dedicated server -> join and download pbo -> redo" method which usually takes several minutes

This method only works on a local computer, i HIGHLY recommend setting one up if you don't have one.

WARNING: if you plan to open your eden editor, launch a new normal arma 3 instead, cause it will add @life_server etc to your reqired addons if you don't.

With this method (originally shown to me by Optix) , you can test things within 15 seconds to a minute depending on your machine and task.

How to do this:

• Locate your main Arma 3 steam directory
  • Find Arma3.exe [NOT Arma3server.exe]
  • Right click Arma3.exe and create a shortcut of it
  • Put this shortcut on your desktop
  • Right click the shortcut and go to properties
  • Enter the following into the "Target" section
"C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Arma 3\arma3.exe" "[email protected];@life_server" -noSplash -skipIntro -showScriptErrors
  • Change what you need in this, such as mods, locations, etc.
  • I recommend keeping on showScriptErrors, very useful for finding out why your code does not work.
  • Save this, now go into your main arma 3 directory
  • Your mission should be in your 'MPMissions' folder, make sure it is not in a PBO format
  • Make sure you only have one mission in here, move the others out until you're done, or rename them to 'whatever.Altis324' putting numbers at the end so the mission is not read
  • Launch the shortcut and let your game load
  • Go to multiplayer, click on 'Host Server'
  • No need to change anything here unless you want a friend joining, if so change LAN to multiplayer and make sure you've port forwarded 2302-2303
  • Click the host server button
  • Click the map you are running your server on
  • Click the mission file you are testing
  • Load into the mission the same way you normally would
  • If you wish to re-test something, you can edit code in the non-pbo mission you have in MPMissions without messing up your server ingame
  • Once you are done editing your code, simply abort from the mission like you would when you log out of any server
  • It will bring you back to the create game menu, where to reload your new code you simply have to run your mission again

Important tips if this does not work for you:

This works best with a non-pbo mission, just leave the 'whatever.Altis' in your MPMissions and you can edit it at any time

This only works on a local server you have set up

• Like 4

Just now, Mr.BananaMan said:

doesn't work

you have

#include "infiSTAR_AdminMenu.hpp"

inside of `description.ext`.

And file call.fsm & infiSTAR_AdminMenu.hpp inside of your Altis_Life.Altis folder?

1 minute ago, AlaskaVet said:

you have

#include "infiSTAR_AdminMenu.hpp"

inside of `description.ext`.

And file call.fsm & infiSTAR_AdminMenu.hpp inside of your Altis_Life.Altis folder?

Yes, I already do it.

3 minutes ago, Mr.BananaMan said:

Yes, I already do it.

And inside "@infiSTAR_A3\addons\" you have a3_infiSTAR.pbo?

Also do you have "ARMA_LOAD.dll" inside your arma 3 folder? And it's not blocked?

Infistar will not work with this method, maybe because it calls to see if it's a server exitwith {}; 

If you want you can try to find this call and remove it.

For some reason I can't go into the 3D editor on the Altis_Life mission. It only lets me play the mission, and when I check the folder is "Read-Only" Is that what's causing me to not be able to edit the map?

38 minutes ago, Ox_ said:

For some reason I can't go into the 3D editor on the Altis_Life mission. It only lets me play the mission, and when I check the folder is "Read-Only" Is that what's causing me to not be able to edit the map?

Try disabling read only and see if it works. It would be faster then waiting for a reply.

2 minutes ago, jmuirhead said:

Try disabling read only and see if it works. It would be faster then waiting for a reply.

I did but it keeps going back to read only.

For some reason I get this error message when trying to launch using the shortcut:

shaders not valid (mismatch of exe and data )

On 05/10/2016 at 8:02 AM, Ox_ said:

Is the mission file in the correct location? Do you see it in the map list?

15 hours ago, ToxicRageTv said:

Is the mission file in the correct location? Do you see it in the map list?

Well the problem was that it was in my C drive and not in my documents folder...all the files on my C drive are read only so I just threw it in my docs folder

[21:22:26:000222 --7:00] [Thread 11072] extDB2: Error: Syntax error: Not a valid integer: Error Unknown Protocol
[21:22:26:000246 --7:00] [Thread 11072] extDB2: Error: Input String 4:Error Unknown Protocol
[21:22:26:204423 --7:00] [Thread 11072] extDB2: Error Unknown Protocol: 9072  Input String: 2:9072:SELECT pid, name, cash, bankacc, adminlevel, donorlevel, cop_licenses, coplevel, cop_gear, blacklist, cop_stats, playtime FROM players WHERE pid='76561198099798446'
[21:22:26:204529 --7:00] [Thread 11072] extDB2: Error: Syntax error: Not a valid integer: Error Unknown Protocol

On 2016-11-21 at 11:13 PM, ToxicRageTv said:

For some reason now when i try to spawn in as a civ i die before i even hit the spawn button.

Look into RPT, also for anyone trying infistar theres calls in the framework of it that calls for ifServer exitwith {}; or something like that, when you run this it counts you as server.

20:04:06 WARNING: Function 'name' - Tyson Hoops is dead
20:04:06 Ragdoll - loading of ragdoll source "Soldier" started.
20:04:06 Ragdoll - loading of ragdoll source "Soldier" finished successfully.
20:04:10 Error loading control bin\config.bin/RscDisplayEGSpectator/Controls/Help/

Is that it?

Edited by ToxicRageTv